Sedation Dentistry Instructions
Here are some instructions for both before and after your child receives sedation dentistry:
Before the Visit
- Please make sure that your child goes to the bathroom immediately prior to arriving at the office.
- Your child should not have solid food for at least 6 hours prior to their sedation appointment, and only clear liquids for up to 4 hours before the appointment.
- The child's parent or legal guardian must remain at the office during the complete procedure.
- Please watch your child closely while the medication is taking effect. Hold them in your lap or keep them close to you. Do not let them run around.
- Your child will act drowsy and may become slightly excited at first.
After the Visit
- Your child will be drowsy and will need to be monitored very closely. Keep your child away from areas of potential harm.
- If your child wants to sleep, place them on their side with their chin up. Wake your child every hour and encourage them to have something to drink in order to prevent dehydration. At first, it is best to give your child sips of clear liquids to prevent nausea. The first meal should be light and easily digestible.
- If your child vomits, help them bend over and turn their head to the side to ensure that they do not inhale the vomit.
- Because we’ll use local anesthetic to numb your child's mouth during the procedure, your child may have a tendency to bite or chew their lips, cheeks, and/or tongue and rub and scratch their face after treatment. Please observe your child carefully to prevent any injury to these areas.
Please call the office with any questions or concerns you might have.