Care After A Tooth Extraction
- Do not rinse your child’s mouth for at least one hour after the extraction. .
- Do not let him/her spit excessively.
- Do not let your child drink a carbonated beverage (Coke, Sprite, etc.) for the remainder of the day.
- Do not let him/her drink through a straw.
- Make sure your child keeps his/her fingers and tongue away from the extraction area.
- Some bleeding is to be expected. If unusual or sustained bleeding occurs, place cotton gauze firmly over the extraction area and have them bite down or hold it in place for fifteen minutes. This can also be accomplished with a tea bag. Repeat as necessary.
- Have your child maintain a soft diet for a day or two, or until they feel comfortable eating normally again.
- Make sure they avoid strenuous exercise or physical activity for several hours after the extraction.
- For discomfort, use Children's Tylenol, Advil, or Motrin as directed for the age of your child. If a medicine was prescribed, then follow the directions on the bottle.
Please do not hesitate to contact the office if you have any questions.